Appraisals are our bread and butter. We do thousands every year. We provide jewellery appraisals in Winnipeg for insurance needs, estate sales, or to accurately assess a piece of jewellery you want to put up for sale. We can also source diamonds, pearls and other precious coloured stones you may want to purchase. We have access to thousands of GIA certified stones and can help you choose the best stone at the price you want to pay. We’re not running a “bricks and mortar” store, so our overhead is minimal and you’ll find our prices significantly lower than retail stores. If you’re interested in designing and building your own ring, we can help with that, too.
PLANNING TO BUY OR SELL JEWELLERY ONLINE?
We also offer a unique service if you’re planning to sell or purchase jewellery online, on sites like Kijiji or Craigslist. Due diligence is extraordinarily important if you’re not buying from a GIA graduate gemologist. In the case of online commerce, buyer and seller meet at our office in a neutral setting where we appraise the item offered for sale. We’ll completely inspect and appraise the item to make sure it’s properly represented, including a check for upcoming or needed repairs. We provide a fair, unbiased estimate of the item. Just call us to set up an appointment or click here.
THE APPRAISAL PROCESS
When you bring your precious jewellery to us, you can be guaranteed a comprehensive, fully-documented appraisal. Here’s what we cover:
- A full description of the item, including karat and weight of the precious metal, type of metal – gold, silver or platinum, trademarks and/or identifying characteristics such as engraving.
- We provide a photograph along with the description, which makes it easier for replacement if your jewellery is ever lost or stolen.
- Complete documentation of your diamond, colored stone, pearl or other gems including grading of clarity, colour, cut and carat weight. We also provide descriptions of other details such as laser inscriptions on your diamonds or stones, or any chipped or missing stones in your jewelry.
- We provide an estimated value – used for retail replacement, estate sales, divorce settlements, charitable events, promotions, etc.
- To ensure you’re confident in our work, we also provide relevant background notes associated with the evaluation, such as market conditions and prices of gold and or precious metals.
- Diamonds, colored stones and other gems are always quoted in American dollars and then converted to Canadian currency. This is important because your gems and precious metals can and will fluctuate in value based on the currency exchange rate.
Our repair services
- Ring sizing
- Re-tipping claws
- Stone setting
- Stone replacement
- Polishing and rhodium plating
Call or email for an appointment and bring your jewellery to Gerry’s.
We’ll have it looking good-as-new in no time.